Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Strawberry fever!


Strawberries are now in season, and every spring I make strawberry freezer jam for my family and also to give to friends with some home made bread.
I only buy them if they are really cheap. They were on sale at Wal-Mart last week for $1.50 per lb.
I am also always looking for good strawberry dessert recipes. I found one the other day that was super easy and super tasty!
Strawberry Upside Down Cake

2 cups crushed strawberries
1 (3 oz.) package strawberry flavored gelatin
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 yellow cake mix
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13" cake pan with non-stick vegetable spray. Spread strawberries on bottom of the pan. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over strawberries. Top with mini marshmallows. Prepare cake mix per package directions. Pour cake batter over marshmallows. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife, then invert cake onto serving platter. Store in refrigerator.

3 comments:

hil said...

that dessert sounds so good! i'm definitely going to try it. and it is a crying shame that i am not at home to devour your jam and bread. that is seriously one of my top 5 favorite things to eat. so, so good. and your jam is never too chunky and it never has those weird little black things that i find in other jam, which things i can only assume were once part of a leaf. hopefully. you are so domestic and talented. why did that gene run screaming when i was being created?

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

Don't worry, little bee. When I get there I will make it all better =)

gigi said...

I'm going to try this! I love cake and strawberries and this sounds great!