
I experienced a terrible tragedy recently- I was transferring all of my favorite recipes from my tattered and splattered recipe keeper into my laptop so that I could make my own recipe binder. My dad got ahold of my laptop while I was at school one day so that he could update something, and he accidentally erased everything stored on my hard drive. Being the smart cookie that I am, I had already thrown out my recipe keeper and therefore all of my best recipes. I felt sick. I wanted to lay down and cry and kick and scream, but I knew my dad felt bad and I didn't want to compound his remorse. Luckily, there are some recipes that are stored up in my brain, and mom's cabbage buns is one of them.
My mom has never actually put cabbage in them, so I can only assume that the original recipe called for it. I made them for Joey once when we were married, and I did put cabbage in them in an attempt to boost the nutritional value. I never should have messed with perfection- he hated them and never wanted me to make them again.
Anyway, these have long been a favorite in the Judd household and I thought I would share them with you.
Mom's Cabbage Buns
1 bag (3 loaves) frozen bread dough
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
garlic salt
pepper
Allow dough to thaw, punching it down once it has risen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook ground beef with the diced onion, garlic salt, and pepper to taste. Drain. Meanwhile, grease a cookie sheet. Pinch off a piece of dough approximately the size of a golf ball. Flatten it out and spread about 1 Tbsp. of the meat mixture onto the dough. Top with desired amount of cheese. Seal dough and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake for 20 minutes, or until buns are golden brown.
You may increase or decrease the amounts according to your own preferences. This is about how much I use, and it generally makes 20-ish good sized buns. It sounds like a lot, but they go fast in this house. They are my brother Aaron's favorite, and he will eat 5 at a time!



2 comments:
I'm totally going to go make these. . .right now!!! I'll let you know how they go!
this is Frankie's absolute favorite. and one of mine as well, of course. please don't make them when you are visiting this summer; once Frankie gets his hands on your buns, he'll never want to touch mine again :)!
Post a Comment