Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday night

This is part 2 of my piece on nails. I don't paint my fingernails an actual color. I just put a clear coat on. It's too much trouble to be constantly changing the color to match your clothes for that day. I found a new polish that I really like. It's very sheer, but has a hint of color. It's Maybeline Salon Expert in Sheer Whisper. It's kind of a neutrally transparent beige color. Not quite pale pink. My toenails are a different story. When we were teenagers Hillary accidentally dropped a bucket full of food-storage wheat on my left big toe, and it has never been the same. I always wear polish on my toes because of that wonky toe. Also, I had ingrown toenail surgery after my mission, so my big toenails are skinny. Now you are all intimately acquainted with my toenails.
Kacey got a splinter in her hand on the playground the other day. I wanted to pull it out, but she cried and screamed so I told her it would probably come out on it's own. I looked at it today and it was looking mighty infected. I waited until she fell asleep tonight and got it out. Whew.
Sometimes people ask me why I don't have a New York accent, and I tell them that I grew up in Georgia. Then they want to know why I don't have a Southern accent if I grew up in the south. Then I have to tell them that I was born in California and lived there until I was 10. I'm asking myself today, where am I from? Do you have to say you are from a certain state if that is where you were born? Is Sue Jacobs from Hawaii because that's where she was born? I feel like I am from Georgia because that's where I passed my teenage years and where my best friends are and were.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

LOL.....oh Aramie.....we have so much in common!!! I too have a favorite nail polish that is a neutral color. I'll have to get the name of it sometime and give it to you. I don't know where it is at the moment.
It's funny, but Sea got a little splinter the other day at the playground too. I just checked an it's still there. He won't let me get it out......waiting till they are asleep is a GREAT idea. I'll try it!
Since I lived in Whyoming until I was 12, I don't have a real strong southern accent either, until I go home, and people always ask me the same question. Why don't you have a southern accent. Anyways......I too consider it home for the same reasons. It is where I spent my teenage years, where my greatest friends came from and where I have the most memories. So I think it is fine that we say we are from Georgia!
And, NO, Sue is not from Hawaii! She didn't live there long enough. LOL Sue is from where ever the most of her memories are! :) Doest that makes sense???

Elizabeth said...

Sue is a southern Mama!!!

Erin said...

Well, I say I grew in Georgia...gosh I haven't really lived there in over 10 years...so people ask me about the pretty absent southern accent.

gigi said...

I have no fingernails and have always worn clear polish. Toes are a different story now, I love bright red on my toes.

When Harrison was an infant Sue use to cut his hair when he was asleep. I'd just turn his head from side to side. Sue also nursed him because he wouldn't take a bottle and I wasn't home yet. That kind of shocked me and she said he took it but kept looking at her strangly. I also use to cut my boys fingernails when they were asleep. They never jerked away.

I'm just glad that you don't have a NY accent!!

TheDaleys said...

It seems as though you are doing a lot of soul searching. Technically we came from God. So we can tell people we are from Heaven. We can also tell people that when it rains it means God is crying....probably for something bad they did (compliments of Jack Handy).

And referring to GiGi's comment ^ that is pretty gross, it's kind of "Hand that rocks the cradle".