Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sun Feather Soap Give Away!!

Today was our trip to Potsdam, NY to tour the Sun Feather Soap factory. We had a great time! Our drive there was very.... interesting. Before we left town I stopped at Dunkin Donuts and bought Kacey a donut. As we drove the windy country roads through the Adirondack mountains, Kacey complained that her stomach hurt. She says that her belly hurts fairly often, and I do think that sometimes she says it just to get attention. A few minutes later I heard her coughing and spitting, and I looked back and saw that she was throwing up into her donut bag. I still wasn't sure if she was just being dramatic or if this was the real deal. She then says "here mom," and hands the bag up to me. I take the bag, and as I am trying to decide what to do with it, the bottom falls out and suddenly there is a whole lotta barf all over my lap, on my shirt, and in my hair! Clearly she was not just being dramatic. I sat there stunned, swearing, and dripping in the fruity pebbles she had for breakfast. Under normal circumstances I would never ever litter, but I didn't know what else to do. I threw the disintegrating bag out the window. Luckily I am a horder of restaurant napkins, and had several in my glove compartment. My sister was horrified that I didn't turn around and go home, but I was determined to get to the soap factory!!! Neither hell nor high water, nor being completely saturated in my daughter's puke was going to keep me away! I spent the rest of the drive pouring water on myself and using napkins to wipe off the barf. I'm truly sick. I even thought to myself "I wonder if I put on enough perfume this morning to neutralize the barf stink?" I guess the important thing is that Kacey did feel better afterwards.
The soap factory was great. Sandy Maine, the owner/founder gave us a tour and I sort of felt like I was meeting a celebrity! She is the soap guru of our times and the go-to-gal of the soap making community. We saw hundreds of 5 lb. soap bricks that they make there, either to sell on their website or for specific clients. For example, there is an organic lavender farm in Pennsilvania called Carousel Farms. They make lavender essential oil, send it to Sandy, and she makes lavender soap with it for them to sell out of their farm. I bought several bars of this soap because I love love love lavender! Another client bought something like 500 lbs. of this very crude soap made in Africa. She showed me a hunk of it, and it seriously looked like some kind of grainy, light colored rock. He hired Sandy and her crew to take the soap and make it into something a little prettier to look at and pleasant to use. I think I mentioned before that she was also commisioned by Oprah Winfrey to make special bars for her 50th birthday celebration. Yippeee!
Kacey loved it, which make me very happy. After looking around at all the soap everywhere, Kacey said to Sandy "this place is a miracle!" She got to pick out a few bars of soap to keep.
It was a great experience and I can cross it off of my "places to go" list.
Now, in honor of our wonderful adventure I am going to give away a bar of the before mentioned lavender soap. Just leave me a comment, and on Sunday Kacey will draw a name out of a hat. Good luck! Oh, and I promise it will be 100% barf-free.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sign me up baby!!!! :)

gigi said...

Oh, I love, love, love Lavender too!

I have a story very similar to yours, it was September and she threw up in Hardy's bag. The bottom didn't fall out but as we turned a corner to go up to the white water rafting place we opened the door and set it on the ground. We get up to the place and get out of the car and up drives the rafting guys and oneof them has the bag of vomit holding it out the window. We nearly die. He drops it in the trash and goes on about his business. I always wondered why we didn't just bring it with us and throw it in the trash ourselves.

I do think you win the prize for worst vomit srory.

Jess said...

Your breath has always smelled like vomit to me, so I'm sure that's why you could'nt smell the vomit all over your body...STINKY FACE...FR:your bro, Dust

hil said...

Gigi's story cracked me up! so did Aramie's. we are so polar opposites when it comes to stuff like that. she was right when she said, "you probably would've shimmied out of your clothes right then and thrown them out the window." that is exactly what i would've done. exactly. maybe you should've aske Ms. soap lady to rub some soap into your rancid clothes! it sounded like a lot of fun (sans barf) and i'm glad you guys take outings together. if Darby ever throws up on me (and you know she will, probably on purpose) i'm going to sell her to gypsies. she'll have to make her own living doing Kaitlyn's 1997 ankle holding dance (you know she learned it from Townsend's old home videos). i want lavender soap! maybe it'll keep the scorpions away.

Kimberly said...

That was so funny. In my mind I could hear your voice telling that story and it made it all that much more classic. The funny thing is that my mom bought doughnuts this week and when I saw it I wanted to puke. I am not a fan of the doughnut. It is pure lard and it makes me want to hurl. I am glad you had a good time at the soap place.

The Cinderella Life said...

Oh,you so know you stopped at Dunkin donut to get yourself a donut!!!Poor Kacey

Lindsey said...

You are stronger than me! I don't know if I could handle the vomit on me. I probably would have vomited on the spot. Thanks to you, I had soap dreams last night..... and that was before I read this story. The soap in my dreams was wrapped in mesh and people were eating it. I know.... weird.

Ali said...

#1-Yes, I am blog Stalking you
#2-I'm a huge fan and I was so sad when you went on a blog hiatus. But you are back. HOORAY!!
#3-Didn't you feel AWFUL that you didn't believe your kid and then she started barfing? To me that's the same as when I let my kid "cry it out" at night and then I get up only to discover that she pooped sometime in the night so she was sitting in her poop uncomfortably. It makes me feel like a bad mom.
#4-Your kid is AMAZING. She has the knowledge/common sense to grab a bag and barf into it? When I was 17 I was on a road trip to a youth conference and barfed into a pillowcase. Since you are so kind to ask, No! no, pillowcases are not the most air-tight water-seal containers for which to barf. I got barf all over my pillow, my chair and myself. And I didn't have anything to wear to the dance that night so I had to go there smelling like barf. It was a great experience for a chubby socially-awkward 17 year old loser to have. I still shudder when I think of it
#5- And finally, how did you get barf in your HAIR? Were you holding the bag up to the sun to check it's translucent properties when the bottom dropped out? Were you shaking it around to evenly coat the inside of the bag? Or is your hair down to your waist and that's how the barf got on it? I was just wondering.

I love your blog, I just thought you should know.

Bing
(Hna Bingham to your sister Hillary Judd Parmenter)

Denny1600 said...

Oh! I hope I'm in time to enter your generous giveaway! I'd love to try this lavender soap. Thanks!

Denny

denny1600(at)gmail.com

The Clanton Gang said...

Oh my gosh--I can't stand the smell of puke and I'm such a wimp about it. I would've been puking right along with Kacey!

But yay for the soap factory! Maybe all the good-smelling stuff covered up the barf smell. LOL