Friday, October 3, 2008

Autumn is finally here!!!

Wow- I haven't posted in a long time. I have been pretty busy, and honestly I have to be in the right mood to post and I just haven't been feeling it for a while. When I get home from work I have an hour before I have to pick Kacey up from school. I usually just sit on my bed in a semi-catatonic state and recover from my crazy day. Then I get Kacey and I'm ready for more! Working with Peyton and with all of the other special needs children at school makes me so grateful that Kacey is developmentally typical. It also makes me so grateful that there are amazing people in this world who adopt children knowing that they have serious problems that will require all of their energy and patience. Peyton's adoptive parents are these people, and so is my friend Rosemarie who's adopted daughter Katie has downs syndrome.
I am so glad that autumn is here. The summers up here are so beautiful, but fall is my very favorite! I love everything about it. The air is so crisp, and upstate New York is every bit as breathtaking as Vermont when the leaves change color. Yesterday was our class field trip to Banker's Orchard. We have been there every year. Kacey came with me and my class. We took a hay ride out to the pumpkin patch and Kacey picked a beautiful, big pumpkin. Then we picked our own apples. They have a great petting zoo with baby goats and lambs, geese, ducks, donkeys, miniature ponies, and pot-bellied pigs. Kacey especially enjoyed that. Afterwards we all had apple cider and fresh apple cider donuts. They are so, so good! It was a perfect day.
I really love Halloween too. I have always been fascinated by all things mysterious and spooky. I love ghost stories. I really hope that I will be able to take Kacey down to Salem, Massachusetts before the month is out. October is full of all kinds of fun down there. Kacey is going to be Bat Girl for Halloween. She is so excited about her costume. It is made of a hot pink metallic material. Her favorite part are the arm cuffs. She wants me to sew the ends of her cape to the arm bands so that when she spreads her arms out her cape also spreads. I love it.
I also really get in the mood to bake in the fall. I grew a bunch of small sugar pumpkins this year specifically for cooking. I love ANYTHING pumpkin! Dunkin Donuts has an awesome pumpkin muffin right now if you also love pumpkin.
Speaking of my garden- dad and I are really bummed with our harvest. It rained so much this summer that our garden really suffered. My cherry tomatoes were the only tomatoes that did well, and of course we couldn't can those. My peppers are still tiny, and things are going to freeze over soon. The only thing we haven't harvested yet are my sweet potatoes. I hope they did well. I did get about 10 little pumpkins, though we planted a lot more.
To sum things up, things are good up here in the beautiful north country.

8 comments:

The Clanton Gang said...

I love fall too. I think Halloween is my favorite holiday!

I love your layout! Where'd you get it?

The Griffis 4 said...

I love october! I love all of the sweets that begin to pop up every where this time of year..even though i know i shouldnt be eating them! i too am grateful for my childrens health...and for the patient mothers & fathers who deal with special needs kids..it takes a special kind of person. Darn that pumpkin muffin sounds good! TO bad theres no dunkin donuts in BWK!

Erin said...

Apple cider donuts I remember having some of those when I was up there that fall...so yummy as is fresh apple cider.

gigi said...

Good to hear from you. I love your new blog look. Sorry about your garden. Maybe your sweet potatoes will be plentiful.
You are blessed that Kacey is such a healthy and happy girl. Wish I could come up and enjoy some of that cooler weather.

hil said...

hooray for Bat-Girl! what an uplifting blog. i love it. Darby is going to be Yoda this year. she looks hilarious in her costume! i love you.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite time of year as well! I am glad you don't know what a whooby is because that means that you don't have one! It is the saggy sack of skin that just hangs off your belly after you have kids! It's is really unattractive!

april said...

Sweet Kacey! Please post a picture of her with wings outstretched!

I love this time of year as well, though fall is admittedly short-lived in Utah.

Hansen Family said...

So nice to read from you again. I also love the fall, although Brett doesn't agree with me (SoCal Boy), everything is so crisp and smells so good and clean.